Managing Editor Support
Working closely with clients, editors and third parties, we provide advanced-level Managing Editor support.
Managing Editor Support
This option includes services that our clients have frequently requested, which we are only too pleased to provide by drawing on our team’s broad and diverse skills and experience.
As an example, we have an experienced and dedicated team working on reviewer finding. We understand that this is becoming increasingly difficult for in-house teams – partly due to GDPR regulations but also with the increasing number of reviewers being invited to review for multiple journals – therefore this element of the peer-review process is being outsourced to us regularly. Through our identification and selection of experts as potential reviewers, we relieve editors of some of the pressures of running busy journals.
For those who are less familiar with peer-review systems, we can create and deliver submission system training for internal teams (e.g., for new recruits) and editors and editorial board members.
Our advanced-level service offers assurance that The Editorial Hub Ltd is on hand to provide tailored support, innovation and best practice advice for every aspect of the process from submission to final decision.
Other examples of our Managing Editor Support service include:
- Administering commissioned manuscript programmes – sending out all relevant correspondence including invitations and reminders, and tracking progress to ensure a healthy flow of manuscripts.
- Attending editorial board meetings to present the journal reports we’ve prepared and to offer insights from our extensive experience of peer-review management. We are also pleased to take minutes at these meetings.
- Piloting and providing feedback on new products and tools.
- Providing a detailed analysis of peer-review workflows and making recommendations for improvements and efficiencies.
- Supervising third parties who are responsible for the more administrative parts of the workflow, such as submission checklists.
- Setting up new launches on journal submission systems, including creating workflows, building reports and creating email templates.
“The Journal of the Marine Biological Association (JMBA), first published in 1887, is one of the world’s longest-running marine biological journals. We decided to move from using an in-house Executive Editor to ‘out-sourcing’ the editorial processing work. We were recommended The Editorial Hub Ltd (TEH) by our publisher, CUP.
“I have to say that I only have positive things to say about TEH. Liaising with TEH to establish what needed doing was easy and TEH were also able to suggest improvements in our manuscript processing. The Editor-in-Chief has been delighted with the improvement in our processing times (which improved significantly as well), with the professionalism of TEH staff, who are friendly and helpful and quick to chase up issues, such as when manuscripts get ‘stuck’. They also liaise very efficiently with myself, the Editor-in-Chief and our Journals Management Board to ensure our manuscript processing is optimised.
“The MBA Board of Trustees have been particularly pleased as we are now paying less than when we did all the work in-house, but we are getting far more efficiency, which is good for the journal as well as for us as an organisation. My only real regret is that we did not discover TEH sooner!”
The Marine Biological Association
FIND OUT MORE
Is this service right for you?
Our Managing Editor support service provides the highest level of service that you would expect from any senior employee. Your dedicated Managing Editor is committed to providing expertise, insight and advice to help you run your journal(s) most efficiently.
This service could support clients requiring senior-level expertise, on a piecemeal, regular or ongoing basis. It is available as a permanent service, or for short- or longer-term cover, such as whilst suitable candidates are being recruited internally, thereby providing a seamless handover.